Downtown Napa is a beautiful mix of old town charm with new school class. After a trying year for many reasons, there’s no better time to head to California and support the local downtown Napa tasting rooms, shops, and restaurants. While this past year might not have been the ideal time to open a new business, many have jumped through all the hoops and we’d like to celebrate them for their success.
The Candlelight Inn, our premier Napa Valley Bed and Breakfast, is minutes from the downtown Napa area—though you wouldn’t know it from our secluded and private grounds and gardens. It’s an ideal location for a getaway that includes relaxation (easily achieved by our pool or in the spa) and activities like shopping, dining, and sipping in downtown Napa.
We offer 10 unique guest suites in our lovely 1929 English Tudor-style bed and breakfast. Our rooms are updated and modern with high-end accommodations, many with deluxe king beds, two person jacuzzi tubs, walk-in showers, and private balconies. All of our guests have access to our backyard pool with lounge chairs and covered pergola area perfect for a glass of wine. A trip filled with these luxuries is just at your fingertips, book your stay today!
New and Noteworthy in Downtown Napa this Spring
It’s been a tough year for restaurants, tasting rooms, and retail, but the people of Napa know how to pivot. Thankfully, warmer patio weather is not scarce here and we’re all about masking up to shop any day. Discover these downtown Napa establishments that beat the odds and opened this past year.
- Quilt & Co.: The wines of Joseph Wagner are the focus at this new downtown Napa tasting room. Exposed brick walls, a loft area with a private tasting space, and romantic lighting are ready for eventual indoor dining. For now, enjoy flights (there’s an option to pair with food) or wines by the glass on the outdoor patio.
- Be Bubbly: For some, a glass of sparkling wine is reserved for New Year’s Eve or a toast at a wedding, but for the rest of us, we like our bubbles on a more regular basis. This new lounge in downtown Napa is offering just that—plus salty snacks that pair perfectly. We’ll cheers to that!
- Bar Lucia: A newcomer to the Oxbow Public Market, Bar Lucia is a rosé and sparkling wine-themed tasting room and cafe. Fresh salads, creative dips, and inventive sandwiches pair nicely with the pink and bubbly pours.
- California Brandy House: While brandy might not be the first beverage that comes to mind in the heart of wine country, let’s not sell ourselves short of this rich, native spirit, that is also made from the fine grapes in the region. Learn a bit more about the history and making of brandy during an in-depth tasting with the knowledgable staff.
- EmpressM: This upscale dim sum restaurant opened in late 2020, they are offering patio dining, limited indoor seats, and of course, food and drinks to go. This could be a nice meal to bring back to our Inn and enjoy on the terrace.
- Le Cheve Bakery and Brews: At this new bakery/brewery in downtown Napa, you can pick up traditional Mexican pastries and fresh brewed ales. Opened in late 2020 in the oldest adobe-style building in Napa, you won’t be disappointed with the unique selection.
First Street Napa is a collection of local boutiques, shops, wineries, and restaurants. Our Napa Valley Bed and Breakfast is just a quick five minutes from this shopping area, where there’s plenty to do, taste, and buy. Here are a few recent additions to check out:
- Riza Plants: It’s been a good year for houseplants, and this new shop has all your botanical needs covered.
- Honey Whiskey Boutique: Women’s clothing for “dreamy bohemian clothing to edgy showstopper one of a kind pieces.”
- Tay and Grace: Pretty boutique with women’s fashions tailored to the Napa lifestyle.
- The Bennington Napa Valley: Curated selection of vintage and local gifts and treasures.
- Cooperfield’s Books: Downtown Napa’s newest local and independently owned bookstore.
Classic Spots in Downtown Napa Not to Miss on Your Stay
While hitting the new spots in Downtown Napa is always fun, there’s something about the history and experience of the tried and true options. For a classic Napa experience, head to these mainstays:
- Oxbow Public Market: This 40,000 square foot market and meeting space has a little bit of everything downtown Napa has to offer under one roof. More than 20 vendors sell everything from oysters and olives to chocolate and coffee.
- Celadon: Set on the Napa riverfront, this is a wonderful spot for a memorable meal in a beautiful atmosphere. Thai coconut mussels is a lovely first course, followed by fancy entrees of coq au vin or braised lamb shank.
- Stone Brewing: For a laid back afternoon for a few beers and pub grub, this brewery has indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the Napa River. They offer a rainbow of beers on tap, so there’s always something for every palate.
- Napa Valley Distillery: For premium tastings, shopping and cocktails, this stalwart distillery (since prohibition ended) is part speakeasy, part fancy cocktail lounge, and part one-stop-shop.
- Cadet Wine Bar: While on first glance one may assume that only the coolest kids hang out at this downtown Napa wine bar, you’ll come to find that in Napa, people of all ages have a common interest: fantastic wine. The menu changes frequently, but there’s always a rare gem.
Choose the Candlelight Inn for your Next Getaway to Napa
Every adventure to Napa Valley should include wine tastings out in the beautiful vineyard setting, but don’t forget to check out all that downtown Napa has to offer. When you’re a guest at our boutique bed and breakfast, that means you won’t have to go far for gourmet dining experiences, unique and local shopping, and fine California wine.
From the minute you arrive at our Inn, you’ll notice our attention to detail, from the manicured gardens and lawns to our pristine guest rooms and common areas. This will continue throughout your stay, in the gourmet multi-coursed breakfast with fresh and organic produce, hot coffee, and baked treats. Come see all that Napa Valley has to offer and plan your next vacation with us!